Monday, October 27, 2008

LEARNING TO CHOP WOOD.

This afternoon Dad and I found ourselves with some spare time--which is a pretty rare thing for Dad these days!  I have been wanting to learn to chop wood all fall so out to the woodpile we went.  Dad lined out the chopping block and picked out a very special block of wood for me.  He gave me a few pointers, handed me the axe and let me swing away!  Even though I had a block that should have split easily (a "confidence booster," Dad called it), it did take me a few tries to get the hang of it!  I had a couple of pretty wild swings before I started burying the axe in the center of my block.  I have to admit, after my first log finally split and fell to the ground I was pretty stinking proud of myself!  Although my chopping is far from graceful, I can officially say that I know how to chop wood!  I'm guessing that IF I were interested in perfecting my woodswoman skills, Mom and Dad would be more than willing to let me practice to my heart's content on their wood pile!  Although I was interested in learning to chop wood, it was more important to me that I learned how to chop wood FROM MY DAD.  Indeed, he was an excellent and patient teacher and provided some words of guidance that I will perhaps treasure forever.  They are, to me, insightful words of wisdom that apply to far more than just the act chopping wood.  

Thank you Dad for teaching me how to do things for myself,
for showing me, by example, how to whistle while I work,
for encouraging me to experience every day as if it were my last,
and for being one of my very favorite philosophers!
(and for acting as the official photographer for this monumental event as well)!
Love your daughter--the GRINNING AXE WOMAN!

  
THE CHOPPING BLOCK and MY INAUGURAL LOG.

  
DAD SAID, "TESS, I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER SEEN SOMEONE GRIN SO MUCH WHILE CHOPPING WOOD!"

THE FIRST TIME I SWUNG, I MISSED THE BLOCK ENTIRELY AND DUG THE AXE INTO THE DIRT!  THIS SWING, WHILE STILL CRAZY AND COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE, WAS STILL AN IMPROVEMENT IN THAT I ACTUALLY HIT THE BLOCK!

  
GETTING THE HANG OF SWINGING SUCH A HEAVY AXE . . .

AND FIGURING OUT TO PUT SOME SEVERE DETERMINATION AND AN AWFUL LOUD "HIIIYYYYAAAAHHH" INTO MY SWING!

  
DAD GOT SOME AWESOME SHOTS!

  

MY FAVORITE PIECE OF ADVICE-TURNED-PHILOSOPHY DAD OFFERED WAS THIS:

DON'T AIM FOR THE TOP OF THE BLOCK.  AIM FOR THE BOTTOM.

he's such an cool dad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you could do it! All the "Gordon" women know how to chop wood...is that a good thing??? I love that you are learning and adventuring. Love mom