Friday, October 31, 2008

A DAY IN LANDMARK.

Last Sunday morning Mom and I rode into Landmark with Dad to help him clean up the cabins he built there for the Forest Service.  Landmark historically records some of the coldest temperatures in the state and Sunday morning was certainly a cold one out there!  As the water source to the cabins has long since frozen, we had to improvise and scoop water directly from the creek to clean with!  I'll admit I have packed water to jobs before, but NEVER frozen creek water!  (You can bet I won't be volunteering this story to my regular job foremen!)  I sincerely enjoyed spending the day with parents--even if we were working!  By the afternoon it had warmed up considerably and we had an awesome little picnic lunch--complete with a pair of Camp Robbers.  The woods are pretty empty this time of year and it was nice peaceful trip to the backcountry!  On the way home we stopped by Warm Lake and amazingly had the entire lake to ourselves!  If only the drive to work were this amazing everyday!


    
Landmark Creek--Where the Wolves Run!

  
At least this job foreman packs the water for me!  ")

Frost on the grass clumps by the creek

  
    
I LOVE MY MOMMY!
(and snowflake-shaped frost too!)

  
We were able use one of the existing cabins to HEAT our icy water!

  
A LOOKOUT MAP folds down from the ceiling.
Can I get one of these?

  
Dad and I hanging out waiting for our water!

  
Camp Robber


This one wasn't brave enough to take the bread from the top of my head though!

SOUTH CABIN

My Mom worked for the Forest Service in the years just after she graduated high school and she was actually stationed at the Landmark Complex--in South Cabin.  In fact, she addressed their WEDDING INVITATIONS in this cabin!  ISN'T THAT AWESOME?!

Me imagining Mom sitting at the kitchen table addressing envelopes . . .
33 YEARS AGO!!


After visiting OUR historic South Cabin, we drove around the corner to the DUMP!
  
A Forest Service dump is full of SIGNS!

Dad and I really got a kick out of this one!

Idaho Primitive Area:
Yours to Use.  Yours to Enjoy.

")  just for you amy fossette . . .
  
  
WARM LAKE.

Fall 2008

One of my favorite parts of adventuring is finding unusual things.
I found this GORILLA at Warm Lake.

This isn't a self-portrait but it is still pretty good!
I know you will all appreicate it!

GOOD-BYE SUMMER :(

1 comment:

Amy and Cole said...

Thank you so much! I almost cried! I miss that place so freaking much! I think I might just have to drive up there one last time before we leave! Tess, I greatly appreciate you remembering how much I love that place and how many memories I have there. I don't know hwo to thank you enough for letting me see my favorite childhood camping spot! Love you!