Wednesday, October 1, 2008

LADYBUG KNOB.

Sunday I woke up with an adventure in mind!  I wanted to go HUNTING . . . for LADYBUGS!  This time of year, ladybugs congregate and then, oddly enough, hibernate!  Here in the northwest, they fly to high elevations and hibernate under rocks.  Many years ago, while at Trinity Mountain lookout in the early fall, we discovered great masses of ladybugs under the rock piles surrounding the lookout.  What an amazing experience that was!  So I decided it was time to try to find another ladybug swarm this fall.  After discussing our options, Dad and I decided to head to the aptly named Ladybug Knob!  Dad remembers, as a kid, riding snowmobiles into Ladybug.  The wind, coming up over the ridge, kept all the snow blown from the ground.  Upon turning over the exposed rocks, he found them covered with ladybugs--in the dead of winter!  After hearing his story, I just had to go to Ladybug for an adventure of my own!  Once she heard of my proposed adventure, Laura and her kids decided to join us too!  Danny was off doing a bit of hunting himself and couldn't join us.  Unfortunately, NONE us of had much luck hunting that day!  Although West Mountain is notorious for rocky, narrow, dusty roads, the road into Ladybug was certainly one of the worst!  We rattled and bumped our way along the ridge of the mountain before we FINALLY (hours later) arrived at Ladybug Knob only to discover, THERE WERE NO LADYBUGS!!!  We aren't sure whether the ladybugs hadn't hibernated yet or if they just don't hibernate on Ladybug anymore.  Regardless, we had a great picnic on top of the mountain and enjoyed an afternoon together.  Even though there were no ladybugs on Ladybug Knob (it is actually named that by the way), I am determined to find ladybugs SOMEWHERE this fall--so stay tuned.  

I'm not just adventuring anymore, now, I'm on a MISSION!

        
our mountain picnic.


makayla and garrett checking rocks for ladybugs.
they were SO disappointed there were no ladybugs. :(


claire, laura, garrett and makayla

"aunt tess's car"
since they couldn't find ladybugs, makayla found other forms of entertainment!

A WOOLLY BEAR!

I did find this caterpillar which, upon researching a bit, I discovered is an infamous Woolly Bear!  Folk lore says you can tell how severe the winter will be by how BIG the orange band of the woolly bear caterpillar is.  The more orange, the more severe the winter.  A lesser known facet of the myth claims that the course hairs of the caterpillar are also predictors.  The courser the hair, the more severe the winter.  So, after studying my Woolly Bear, I predict an average winter with some real prickly moments!

  
Anderson Creek Road.

I greatly enjoyed the drive home and stopped frequently to take pictures of the spectacular views.  The kids laughed and giggled in my backseat while their mommy . . .

TOOK A NICE LONG NAP!
love you lo!

1 comment:

Amy and Cole said...

K i want to go there too!!!! AND IF YOU WON'T GIVE ME A MAP THEN YOU JUST HAVE TO TAKE ME THERE YOURSELF!!!