Monday, September 8, 2008

WARM LAKE HIGHWAY.


Driving home (in the daylight) I was so amazed to see the devastation of last year's forest fires!  From the top of Warm Lake Summit you could see with alarming clarity just how much of the land below was affected--and I know that was just a SMALL glimpse of the actual area burned.  Over the course of the weekend, I realized just how close the fires came my very favorite places.  Deadwood, Landmark, Warm Lake and Yellowpine are all surrounded by blackened forests.  My woods have been forever changed and will, in my lifetime, never look remotely as they did when I was growing up.  However, what absolutely thrilled me were the touches of life returning to the burned areas.  Green grass and brilliant flowers were scattered among the bases of blackened trees.  

Even in utter devastation,there is, as always . . . hope.


summer 2008

    
fireweeds growing in the burn.

  
radiator falls
(that's what we all it anyway!)

ha--another dump!  it got scorched too!

  
This summer the mushroom pickers came in to harvest the more than plentiful morels growing in the burns.  For whatever reason, they camped at the dump!  The second batch to come through were Cambodians.  One time, while dropping off their camp garbage, Mom and Dad realized they were LIVING in these old culverts!  When I realized this, I started calling the culverts CAMBODIAN CAMPERS and decided I had to go explore a bit!  Jessie and I climbed around in them and both wondered how they managed to sleep on the severe ridges of the culvert bottom or, for that matter, how awful it must have been if them was a SNORER!  The echo in there had to be absolutely unbearable!     

  
touring a CAMBODIAN CAMPER!

No comments: