Monday, September 22, 2008

BELLA LUNA.


BELLA LUNA.

Miss Bella was born by the light of a beautiful full moon, hence Bella Luna -- meaning "beautiful moon" in Italian.  I finally decided on a name this afternoon after they threatened to name her after ME if I didn't come up with something else!  Not wanting to add confusion to our family gatherings --"Have you heard?  Tess has these really strange, thick white hairs growing right out of the top of her nose!  I hear she has a real problem with flies this year too.  Could be because she walks around smelling like that."-- I finally stepped up to my awesome naming responsibility.  It felt even more overwhelming because she isn't even really my cow--though you probably wouldn't know if from the way I carry on about her!  I certainly didn't want to give her a name her real owners hate!  So, I guess Bella Luna it is!  And if her real owners hate it, well they haven't said so yet!  And while we are speaking of my sweet Bella, she taught me something today I have waiting my whole childhood to learn!  My mom, who grew up on a ranch herself, has always had a name for a particularly ugly brownish color.  She describes it as Calf Shit Brown.  Apparently calves are notorious for getting Scours which, from what I understand, is basically a serious case of the runny-runny-poo-poos!  I learned, first hand, today that there is definitely a distinctive "color" that comes from a calf with Scours!  So Dad, I am sorry to have to tell you this, but you ABSOLUTELY painted your shed, calf shit brown!  

  
  
Bella runs from me until she has the patience to take a good whiff of me.  Then she is pretty willing to stand there and let me love on her--as long as Mama isn't too far away!

  
Sweet Bella!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bella Luna my new grandcalf. These are so cute. I can still smell the newest of baby calves, sweet hay and the other green or calf colored poo! Thanks for you side on the shed color yeah!!!You are so talented in your story telling and pictures that I know with out a doubt the are your gift. You take the ordinary happenings and turn them into something wonderful, fun and adventurous. You are so caring and FORGIVING of those around you.love you beyond measure mom