Thursday, September 4, 2008

DEADWOOD MINE.

~LABOR DAY WEEKEND~
After leaving the reservoir, the kids wanted to stop by the Deadwood Mine on the way back to camp.  Jessie was particularly excited to visit the mine considering she was about Garrett's age when she had been there last.  It had been years for me too but I wasn't nearly as excited to return as Jessie.  For some reason EVERY time I've been to the mine, I've got into the STINGING NETTLE!  After all those times of getting mixed up with the nasty little plant, I still didn't know what it actually looked like!  I KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE NOW THOUGH!  Yes, it's because I got into it AGAIN!!!  I was being so careful and then I got crazy excited about finding Monkey Flowers growing in the creek.   I forgot all about being careful and started stomping around and kneeling in the grass by the creek.  After I realized I'd got into the Nettle, I went and found Dad and made him show me which of the plants in the green mass was the culprit.  However, this time I did something new with the Nettle!  I somehow dragged my camera strap through it--and then put it around my neck!  That was fun!  The flowers were worth it though!  The things a photographer will endure to get a good shot!

  
  
the last of the buildings at the mine.
  
    
  

  
  
the monkey flowers!
  
    
the falls.
    
makayla, garrett, dad and i.
  
i have stinging nettle all over my neck--but i'm still smiling!

makayla, garrett and i.
(makayla loves to wear my shirts!)
  
  
falls on deadwood summit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy! If you smear fresh mud on the nettle rash it will go away. I should know - I've used them quie often! Love Aunt, Dora

Amy and Cole said...

I am seriously so jealous of all of your adventures! And of your wonderful, beautiful photography talent! Since you are such an adventurous person you will definately have to come see the Azores when and if we go!