Wednesday, July 2, 2008

SANDY POINT.


Several Saturdays ago I was finally able to arrange to pick up my "Little," Becca, for a couple of hours.  I had to work AGAIN so, unfortunately, our time together was pretty short.  I was able to visit with her for a couple of hours though before heading back to work again!
     
Becca's family is going through some major and difficult changes right now and I honestly wanted to give her a chance to forget about everything going on at home and just focus on being a kid for at least the few hours we had together.  Although I had originally planned for her to meet Jackson and Sadie, we had to change our plans at the last minute.  That left me needing to come up with  a new plan in a hurry!  I decided, at the very last minute, to take Becca to Sandy Point out by Lucky Peak.  At first she was pretty unsure of just what exactly we were going to do for FUN out there but she found herself quickly entertained!  We walked along the shoreline, throwing rocks and of course talking and giggling as "sisters" usually do!



     

I really do love volunteering as a Big Sister!  Becca is absolutely a fantastic kid and I feel so blessed to have been matched with her!  While I was waiting for Big Brothers Big Sisters to find a match for me, I started to have second thoughts and began to worry if I had gotten in over my head!  What if they matched me with a rotten, mouthy kid I couldn't handle?  However, Becca is just wonderful!  She is always extremely well behaved for me and the most lively, energetic little girl.  I can't wait to take her on adventures and teach her things!  I love that she is a bit timid and unsure of the things I plan for us to do because she always ends up enjoying herself. After all, finding pure, childlike JOY in unexpected places is what makes life truly spectacular!


   
June 2008


No comments: