Sunday, June 8, 2008

Teeny Black's Creek Adventure

Late last week I was working out in dreadful Mountain Home again and actually finished work with some daylight to spare!  There are some flowers growing along the freeway that have been TAUNTING me for weeks now. "Neener-Neener!  You're too busy to stop!  All you can do is look!  Tough luck photographer girl!  Haahaahaa"  As I drove past them yet again, I sighed, YET AGAIN, frustrated by both their irritating little snooty flower comments AND at the thought that I was missing out on what were likely THE best wildflower pictures EVER!  >:/  And then it suddenly occurred to me that TODAY I could just exit the freeway and explore a bit!  Granted, that realization only occurred to me as I drove PAST the exit!  But, with one of my infamous detours I managed to navigate back to Black's Creek Road and out into my beloved desert.  Although the freeway is LINED with a variety of flowers, I quickly discovered that the land just beyond the freeway is heavily grazed by cattle.  AND I also quickly discovered that cattle grazed desert means more than just having to dodge cow pies!  THERE WERE NO FLOWERS!  Apparently, flowers are good eats!  I did drive out to the historical Oregon Trail site though and managed to find a FEW flowers there.  It felt OH, SO GOOD to be back behind my camera, kneeling in the prickly desert grass, hunkered inches above a teeny tiny wildflower!  It certainly wasn't a GRAND adventure but hey, at this point I'll take adventure in whatever form I can get!


     

     


     

     



Now my Grandma might have to help me a bit with this one but, from what I can tell from my wildflower books . . .

this is a HOOKER'S ONION.  And . . .

this is a HOOKER'S THISTLE?

WHOA!  This was more of an adventure than I thought it was!  Grand?  Perhaps not.  But who knew I would find so many Hookers in the desert!

     

     

~FAVORITE PARTS OF THIS ADVENTURE~
  • just getting to GO ON AN ADVENTURE after having to work SO much!
  • the SLUTTY flowers!
WHAT?  NO SELF PORTRAITS!?!
SHAME ON ME!
:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The flowers are outstanding as are you my dear daughter. You have got me thinking about planning some of my own adventures now that school is out for the summer!!!! Of course at the moment it is snowing again yuck. I'll just have to look harder and maybe come visit you
love you

Amy and Cole said...

Mountain Home isn't that dreadful! You dis my town, you dis me! LOL! Just Kidding! Miss You!