Monday, May 5, 2008

Swan Falls Dam

I arrived at work one day last week fully prepared to work a LONG day, however, it quickly became obvious that the electricians had given me the day OFF instead! I was up, I was dressed and my best traveling companion--my camera--was riding shotgun.  Immediately I knew I was headed to the desert for another adventure!  This time I headed out toward the the Snake River Birds of Prey area.  


My first stop was Dedication Point, right along the canyon rim.  It was strange being out SO early in the morning but the low, eastern light was absolutely beautiful as it entered the rocky gorge.  Although the raptors were all tucked away somewhere, the prairie dogs were out in full force!  What a ruckus they make!  However, I do have to admit, I'm totally CRAZY about them.  I love their chubby little bodies coupled with those short stubby tails!  SO CUTE!  I just wish they weren't so . . . suicidal, but more on that later! 

photos taken at Dedication Point:
  

     

     

Once it became obvious that the incessant noise of the prairie dogs would drive me competely INSANE if I stayed ONE more minute at Dedication Point, I headed a bit deeper into the desert to Swan Falls Dam.

photos taken at Swan Falls Dam:


     

     

     



While wandering around the grounds of the dam itself I was intrigued by what I imagined to be the wreckage of a car up on the steep hillside.  I couldn't resist the temptation and HAD to see what was up there!  I took off up the hill and . . . 

~my favorite photo of the trip~

indeed, I found the wreckage of OLD CAR!  The road down into dam is a treacherously steep grade and I'm quite sure someone, many years ago, had quite a ride down the rocky hillside!  What a treasure for me to find though!  I was thrilled to have FOUND the wreckage and especially to take photos of it with such a spectacular backdrop!

     

On the hike back down the hill, once again I WAS NEARLY EATEN ALIVE!

but somehow I also managed to escape death once again too! :o)

The final leg of my adventure was to be Initial Point.  As I headed toward the rough dirt road leading to the butte, I discovered that a great deal more prairie dogs had awakened for the day.  And I do mean GREAT MORE!  Unfortunately, although prairie dogs are the cutest little boogers, they are obviously just as smart.  The sound of my engine approaching inspired them to run INTO the road for a look at what the commotion was all about.  Great HERDS of prairie dogs flocked to the road!  I'll spare you the gory details but I will say that I managed to MISS more than I flattened, but the numbers were certainly close!  I did feel truly awful for hitting the first hundred or so!  Remember the infestations of the Mormon crickets?  There were so many crossing the roads, and therefore being obliterated, they created slick spots and in some places, dangerous road conditions!  Who knew the same thing happened with the Mormon prairie dogs?

Initial Point was, hands down, the most exciting part of my trip!  Although the destination itself was, well honestly less than spectacular, the ROAD up the butte turned out to be a thrill!  It was one of those roads where once you start up it, you realize perhaps you shouldn't be on it but by then, it is WAY TO LATE TO TURN BACK!  Plus, there simply isn't any WAY to turn back if you wanted to!  I dropped it into four-wheel drive and let the Nismo do the rest!  I LOVE MY TRUCK!  I knew I bought the Nismo edition for something besides the Rockford Fosgate!  It just took me a few years to realize it!

photos taken at Initial Point:





After easing my way back off Initial Point, I headed toward home.  However, it was on the drive home that I discovered one of the downfalls of a solo adventure.  I spotted both an amazing pair of burrowing owls and a badger RIGHT BY THE ROAD but by the time I threw it into reverse and brought my camera to my face, they had all disappeared below the surface of my beloved desert.  A driver would be handy on these sorts of adventures.  Driver could worry about operating the truck while I expertly captured once in a lifetime shots.  Besides, it would be nice to have someone, besides myself, to blame when I missed both shots!  There was one  shot I did managed to reverse in time for though!



A WHITE PEACOCK?  I have no clue!


~lovely self portraits~
i know you love them!

~MY FAVORITE PARTS OF THIS ADVENTURE~
  • The MORMON PRAIRIE DOGS
  • The BURROWING OWLS.  So sad I don't have PROOF I saw them. :(
  • The WRECKAGE hike.
  • Putting my truck in FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE for reasons OTHER than snowy roads!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tess, you are truly amazing with your photos and your words. I love your Gazette and look forward to may more adventures Love your, Aunt Jan and Callie

Anonymous said...

Good Evening! Well this seems to work - thanks for the patience and hints for us "blog impaired". Were there really praried dogs? I think they might be what Dennis and I cal squeek hogs otherwise known as whistle pigs! Great musings with the Gazette. Love, Aunt Dora