Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mummified!

On Mother's Day all of us were out at Mom and Dad's.  I was off playing on the swingset with Garrett when I noticed an old birdhouse hanging nearby.  I peered inside, hoping to find a new little nest.  Indeed there was a tiny wing hanging out of the hole on the front!  However, it wasn't exactly attached to a LIVE bird.  I took the birdhouse down and tried to get a better look at what was sure to be a chaotic and gory scene.  When I failed to satisfy my curiosity, I dragged the entire birdhouse back to the Mansion, where everyone was getting their own grand tour.  As Dad was sitting right near the door, I began talking to him about my discovery but Laura immediately and clearly became as curious as I was!  It quickly became obvious we HAD to get a look inside!  And that meant . . .


smashing up the birdhouse!


since it was Mother's Day, I let Laura do the honors!

     
We found FIVE MUMMIFIED BABY BIRDS inside!

It was so sad!  Especially this little guy . . . 


who definitely didn't go out quietly!

Mom was furious at the momma bird for MUMmifying her babies--especially since we found them on Mum's Day!  Aaagh, that was pretty bad!

Although this whole story is gross and sick and wrong, I love my sister!  It is so cool to have someone in my life who is as curious as I am and is even willing to bust open a ceramic birdhouse to have a look at some petrified baby birds!  Even better, it totally reflects how we were raised!  We were ALWAYS outside and constantly encouraged to foster our imaginations!  Exploration and discovery were a part of our daily lives.  We didn't have television until I was a sophomore in high school and I am so grateful for that because it not only enables me to be easily entertained (obviously) but it also helped to instill my amazing sense of adventure!

Thanks, Mom and Dad, for making us go outside and play!

No comments: