Monday, April 28, 2008

Bruneau Sand Dunes

It was somewhere shortly before 5 am, just outside the despicable city of Mountain Home, when the interstate sign pointing to Bruneau Sand Dunes caught my eye.  I know I must have driven by that simple brown and white sign dozens of times but somehow I've never noticed it before.  Then again, perhaps I've been sleeping every time I've driven past it--which would clearly explain why I've never seen it!  Regardless, this morning I was wide awake and clearly heard the call of the dunes!  I quickly calculated the time it would take me to get my work done for the day and realized I would be done just in time for picnic at the dunes!  As I have been packing my camera EVERYWHERE right now, I decided after my picnic I would chase wildflowers, see if I could be frightened by some random but pitifully harmless animal and perhaps even get a bit of a sunburn.  Somehow I managed to accomplish all three of my largely enthusiastic goals today and ended up having an absolutely splendid time in the desert--with JUST ME!  Before I set out on my adventure I talked to my friend Danielle, who, knowing of my plans to make an extremely early commute to Mountain Home, called to make sure I wasn't sleeping, upside-down, somewhere by the freeway.  When I told her I was headed out to the dunes for the afternoon she asked, 

"BY YOURSELF?" 

And so my ADVENTURE begins!

But first, for those of you who aren't accustomed to adventure, there are a few requirements for creating a truly great adventure:
  • Spontaneity.  I clearly had plenty of this considering I had EVERY intention of finishing my job, taking a quick nap while I drove home, and spending the rest of the afternoon taming dandelions in my backyard.  One of my very favorite authors, Patrick F. McManus, writes, "True adventure is rarely expected."  INDEED!
  • Fuel.  Given the absence of a map (which is clearly part of the spontaneous quality of a true adventure) I personally recommend a FULL tank of gasoline.  Adventures sure are getting expensive these days!  Additionally, you'll want to be sure you pick up some adventure fuel for your body too.  You never know when some delightful aspect of a true adventure will suddenly appear (such as FULL not being ENOUGH).  You'll want to have plenty of energy for the true adventure part of an adventure should it arrive.  I chose Subway fuel for my solo picnic as McDonald's is the only other establishment I am familiar with in Mountain Home and McDonald's and I don't necessarily . . . agree with each other?  This quickly brings me to final adventure necessity.
      
~fueling up~
  • Toilet Paper!  I KNOW I don't need to elaborate on this one much!

So here are some of my favorite photos from my FIRST SOLO ADVENTURE!  

photos taken in Bruneau Dunes State Park:


     

     

     

     

  


I was so excited to be out in the park, I had a hard time finishing my lunch!  Once I started hiking around, I was surprised by how many different faces the desert has--how many completely different feeling areas there are in the park itself!  The day was absolutely PERFECT!  The weather was warm, the wind ever so slight and the sky brilliant, cloudless blue!  Additionally, as it was a Monday, the park was largely deserted.  Well, except for this little guy . . .


AND HE TRIED TO EAT ME!

Okay, maybe not but he did scare me pretty good!  Fortunately he had to stop to laugh at how badly he frightened me and I was able to get a few pictures of the mean-spirited little thing! 

I had learned, at the visitor's center, spring is the prime time for WILDFLOWERS in the desert. In fact, the Sand Lily only blooms for a few short weeks this time of year!  Lucky me!  However, after the hours I spent hiking, I didn't find a SINGLE flower!  Frustrated, I was heading out of the park when I noticed this a small, ugly area with a parking area nearby.
   
     


however . . .



THAT'S WHERE THE FLOWERS WERE!

If only I could have captured the delightful aroma enveloping the area, the sound of the bees buzzing from flower to flower, the warmth radiating off the hot sand, the spectacular color. . . I would have bottled it and saved it for the dreariest of winter days!  Absolutely splendid!



     

 

  
      
After finishing my work in the park, I wasn't ready to call it quits for the day so I took off exploring.  I ended up along the Snake River, right near where it becomes C.J. Strike Reservoir.  Here's what I found there . . . 

photos taken at Crane Falls Cove Arm:

     

     

     


~my absolute favorite shot of the day~
thanks mr. bee for being so cooperative!

I was working on the shot above when suddenly I noticed some movement on the rock in front of me.  My gaze shifted and in an instant I realized, that for the second time that day, I WAS ABOUT TO BE EATEN BY A FEROCIOUS, POSSIBLY RABID, WILD ANIMAL!





Well, I'm not sure if snakes are allowed to be rabid, but nonetheless, I don't do snakes!  Fortunately, this particular snake took pity on me, slithered around the wet spot forming around my ankles, and disappeared from sight.  Needless to say, I hopped in my truck and slithered out of sight myself! 


Spring 2008


~FAVORITE PARTS OF THIS ADVENTURE~
  • it was my FIRST SOLO ADVENTURE!  I could stop and take pictures of whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, for however long I wanted and I LOVED it! 
  • the FLOWERS, of course!
  • the REPTILES, surprisingly!
  • a WARM, SUNNY spring day with NO WIND!

~just me and the nismo~

~lovely self portraits~

No comments: