Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sweet, Lively Becca


MEET BECCA!  SHE'S MY "LITTLE" FROM BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS!  




It had been forever since Becca and I had managed to spend some time together so yesterday we made up for lost time!  She was an absolute riot!  As always, she had some hilarious stories saved up for me (and even a few terrible jokes)!  Even though we had a busy afternoon together, Becca still wanted more time!  What great motivation for future time together!  I LOVE her sweet, lively personality and I am so glad BBBS matched us!  I am learning so much from her about myself and I TRULY enjoy the time we spend together.  I make a concerted effort to be fully present with Becca.  That means no phone calls, no interruptions, no worrying or mental list-making on my part.  I try to make our time together ALL ABOUT BECCA and somehow that is extremely rewarding for me!  I love our list of future activities because it is an completely believable excuse for me to go do some awesome "kid" things I might not otherwise do (for fear of ridicule)!  It is just too much fun to play--no matter how old you are!  Not that I'm saying I AM old . . . :o)  Here's what our afternoon together looked like this time:



Becca had a soccer game at 10 am and I wasn't about to miss it!  I got a good taste for what life like must be like for Soccer Moms though.  COLD!  I am still trying to figure out why they insist on playing soccer before the weather has actually turned nice!  After all the craziness of the soccer fields, we head out for some lunch--at her usual favorite KFC (I swear we NEVER eat anywhere else but that's okay because I simply ADORE the way she eats chicken with NO FRONT TEETH)! On the way, she noticed the basketball I've been carrying in my truck.  I explained to her that whenever I find a hoop, I've been stopping to shoot around.  She was just tickled at the thought of me playing basketball  at random parks and subdivisions--where ever I happened to spot an outdoor court.  We quickly added this quirky activity to our list of Fun Things To-Do Together!



After lunch we headed to Fire and Ice, a pottery studio here in Nampa, to be artists for the afternoon.  I was quite entertained with the activity and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Becca, however, decided maybe she isn't cut out for the pottery painting business.  She was done WAY before I was and was off playing with the toys (which are likely there for just such occasions)!  We have to wait a couple of days to pick up our finished product and who knows, after I see my finished product, I might decide I'm not cut of for the pottery painting business either!  

         
      ~before~                          ~after~ (yeah, it's ugly!)

Next time, Becca will finally be meeting my dogs!  She's pretty excited about that!

No comments: