Sunday, January 25, 2009

LOW DOWN, DIRTY ROTTEN INVERSION BLUES

It seems that every winter the Boise valley gets blanketed by a dirty, icky, smoggy, foggy, completely MISERABLE inversion.  Although there are glorious blue skies and a brilliant sun shining in the surrounding mountains, you would never know it from the valley floor.  Here in the city it is dark, dreary and have I mentioned, MISERABLE?  Although the inversion traditionally hangs around for several weeks each winter, this year it feels as if it will never end!  I am notorious for negatively feeling the effects of the shorter daylight hours that come with the winter season to begin with but add to that the ABSOLUTE lack of sunshine and I am one useless, unmotivated, MISERABLE individual!  Last week, after realizing there was a break in my schedule, I packed my bags and got my miserable self to the mountains just as fast as I could!

WEEKS OF THIS . . .

  
MAKES ME FEEL LIKE THIS!


I had arranged to stay with my parents in Cascade for a couple of days.
As I began traveling north, the foggy conditions lingered until the SILVER BRIDGE.
I tell you, there is something MAGICAL about this bridge!  It is ALWAYS the dividing point
for weather conditions.  It might be raining on the south side of the bridge but it will be snowing on the north side!  And on this particular trip, the FIRST patch of blue sky appeared just above my magical bridge!  OH JOY!!!  


THE NORTHERN SKIES JUST KEPT GETTING CLEARER AND CLEARER . . .

  
SO IT WASN'T LONG BEFORE I STARTED FEELING SUNNIER MYSELF!

  
WE SPENT SEVERAL GLORIOUS DAYS BASKING IN THE MUCH-CRAVED SUNSHINE BEFORE HEADING, BEGRUDGINGLY, BACK TO THE VALLEY.

as i work to put the final touches on this post, i am happy--no, simply delighted--to report that it looks as if the inversion has FINALLY broken!  there were actually patches of blue sky visible today!  perhaps i will survive until spring after all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pics were great..this is always so fun and your talent shows through! I'm so glad you came up to the ol'homestead.
love mom

Anonymous said...

Tess,
I agree w/ that bridge statement of yours! I always have noticed that in the hot summertime, the air is AMAZINGLY cooler on the north side of that bridge...the turning point!!! Thanks for sharing all of your great adventures! I love this blog and am getting ideas for trips for my husband and I!!! You are awesome!
Amy Waters