Thursday, April 14, 2011

2010 LUNAR ECLIPSE.

I am a lover of the heavens and when I heard a total lunar eclipse was coinciding with the winter solstice, I decided it was simply worth staying up for! December 21st is one of my favorite days of the year! In fact, it is a day of celebration for me! You see, it is on the 21st of this dark and frigid month that the days begin to get LONGER again!!! I adore the long daylight hours of summer and think the return of them is worth celebrating (even if it is literally freezing outside when I begin to do so)! Not only was this my first attempt to photograph an eclipse, it is actually the first time I even attempted to photograph the moon! I learned a couple of things on this lunar adventure. First, eclipses take a really long time, particularly when it is FREEZING outside! Second, when I get wound up about photography, I lose sight of the fact that it is FREEZING outside. Although I stayed up past midnight for the actual event, I was up even longer trying to warm up enough to go to sleep -- that is, once I actually realized I was COLD! Staying up for and photographing the eclipse was an adventure (and adventures are mighty hard to come by in December)! I hear the next total lunar eclipse is in June . . . thankfully!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL! Thanks, Tess for staying up & freezing to take these great pictures...Grandpa & I decided we were not up to the late hour & freezing weather to watch it. So glad you did! Love ya! Grandma B.